Tech Prep - Machining Opportunity 2021
The Boeing Company and the International Association of Machinists (IAM) and Aerospace Workers have been proud sponsors of summer student development programs serving high school students in the Portland Metro area for over 25 years. As a Tech Prep student, you will learn real-world manufacturing skills, with a focus on safety and quality. Take the first step in building your career in manufacturing, while getting paid to learn!
Machining Tech Prep
Over the course of three summer sessions, you will learn foundational manufacturing skills such as using drills, mills, and lathes to turn raw material in to finished parts. This program is designed for current high school students beginning the summer between their junior and senior years. If chosen to participate in the program, you will be invited back each consecutive summer.
- Year 1: Is a three-week program designed to build knowledge and skills in manufacturing, safety, and teamwork. Areas of focus include: machining, math, blueprint reading, and precision measuring. You will have the opportunity to work with airplane-grade metals to design and manufacture projects using lathes and mills. During the three weeks you will become familiar with the Boeing manufacturing system in addition to learning about rewarding career paths in aerospace manufacturing.
Year 2*: Is a four-week program that builds upon first-year skills in a team competition where you and your team will design and build a rocket boat. Teams will be responsible for designing, testing, and redesigning their boats in a race to improve their product.
Year 3*: Is a six-week job-shadow program based on your personal area of interest. You will rotate through a variety of work groups such as Machining, Quality Assurance, Manufacturing Engineering, Maintenance, Paint, and Assembly, concluding with a resume and interview skill building workshop.
*Due to COVID-19 distancing protocols, the projects, program duration, and job shadowing is subject to change.
16+ years of age by program start date
Maintain a 2.5+ GPA
Pass drug screening and receive security approval prior to the program start date(s)
Must be a U.S. Person*
*A U.S. Person is either a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, permanent resident alien (green card holder), alien admitted to U.S. as refugee, alien granted asylum in U.S. AND is not affiliated with a company incorporated outside the U.S., a foreign government entity or a foreign organization. Please contact Boeing Security (503-676-1886) if clarification is necessary.
- Verify you meet all of the program qualifications.
- Print or download an electronic application.
- Fill out the application to the best of your ability. Provide thorough and complete answers. Accuracy, neatness and attention to detail are important so your application can be evaluated quickly and accurately.
- Submit completed application via email or mail. Allow enough time for each portion of the application to be completed so the entire application is received at Boeing Portland by due date. Incomplete or late applications will not be accepted.
What Happens After I Apply?
After applications have been received, Boeing invites select students to a formal, in-person structured interview. Applicants selected to participate in the program(s) will be contacted by PDS Tech, a Boeing contractor. Those not accepted will be contacted directly by Boeing Portland.
- May 14, 2021 – Applications due
- June 10, 2021 – Interviews
- August 2, 2021 – Program begins
- August 21, 2021 – Program ends
Program hours are 5:45 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Instructor or Staff Recommendation Form:
Watch Machining Tech Prep in Action
Learn more about student development opportunities at Boeing Portland
Airplane Parts Produced at Boeing Portland
Programs are non-residential. If you are invited to participate in the program, you are responsible for your own housing, transportation and food.
The program complies with all company COVID-19 safety protocols.
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Contact Portland Joint Programs at 1-800-854-1310 or via email PortlandJointPrograms@boeing.com